Thursday, August 28, 2014

Four Days Without...Wifi

Is life without wifi really that bad?
Let's talk about that.


I had the especially unfortunate predicament of spending four days without wifi or cellular data, including texts, iMessage, etc. I was aware before I entered said predicament that this would be the case and yet I still wanted to slam my head against a wall when the time came. Every time I opened my bag to check my phone, I was met with the harsh reality that there was no point because I couldn't use it.


Ever since the smartphone craze there has been a raging obsession with being attached to a cell phone. From 105-year-olds on Facebook to eleven-year-olds being spoiled with the latest Apple gadget, everyone is glued to their phones. And now studies, lectures, and even warnings on the extreme amount of time spent online are bombarding people in equal measure.  People have become so conscious of their attachments they spend weekends away from electronics on purpose. Most say they feel more "connected to the world around" them. Well, I don't believe it. From my experience, it was absolutely horrible. I was lost nonstop, I didn't know there was an Old Spaghetti Factory up the street so I ate at Subway, and I couldn't check my email. Sometimes, internet access isn't just a pleasure, it's a necessity. As my mother always says, "Everything in moderation." Don't check Instagram every four seconds, but it's a little extreme to boycott access to the world for long periods of time by choice. I'll be the first to admit that it's true, without my phone, I spent more time looking at some trees. But I know people that need their phones, yes, need. They get emails every moment from their work that are important. It's not so much using the phone, it's knowing you can't that drives the impulses of checking.


I pity families that had to communicate through the post. Not being able to harass my sister with pointless texts throughout the day was unexplainably frustrating.
[Side note - also frustrating, having to physically count the words in this post to know how long it is because I'm writing in my journal.]
[Side side note - I actually prefer handwriting things over typing... a foreshadow for my next post perhaps?] 

To venture into the subject of phones in school, particularly high school, and considering what I've said thus far, I am indeed an advocate. And no, this does not mean I must be one of those students that sends snapchats when their teacher turns around. (But for the record, yes, I would use my phone if I needed to.) The debate about phones or no phones in school is ever present and I would love to hear your thoughts. Comment below your opinions, jokes, problems or other objections and as always, thanks for reading. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing. Your work is beautiful. You make a compelling case for the smartphone. This isn't a dying fad, this is the future, this is life. Your wonderful personality lights up the page. I love the story about the Spaghetti factory. Smartphones are amazing tools and if we ever need a break we can just leave it out of reach across the room. If we want to function in modern society, phones are the way to go. Keep up the good work. You're a scribe with true talent and wit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, you are ever too kind. It's amazing what internet has done in terms of personal accessibility to information. I could write about ten posts about how news is dead now that people can simply tweet breaking news or upload a viral video. Thanks again for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well whatever they end up being about, I hope you do write ten posts and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA This post could not be more #firstworldproblems. But it is highly accurate. I think the problem is not that we are too privileged and cannot handle living without technology. But we actually plan our lives around that technology. So not having it is more than just and annoyance. For example, when we were on vacation, we packed our days and knew we would be touring several things in a short amount of time. We planned this using our normal accommodations--thinking we could use Google Maps to get us where we need to go in a matter of minutes. Turns out, when we don't have Google Maps, our entire lives stop. How are we supposed to get somewhere we have never been before? We need to find access to a hard map. We need to learn how to read that map. We need to know the exact address of the area. How are we supposed to look up an exact address without internet? Suddenly an hour trip under normal planning takes all day. It's not that we cannot function without technology. It's that our lives are structured around technology and we need to plan from scratch when that technology is unavailable.

    Very cute and funny post. Well done.

    ReplyDelete